• Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
• Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
As you can see there are two types of this disorder; it starts in childhood and it continues into adulthood. It is a neurobiological disorder of the dopamine receptors and adrenaline.
Among its symptoms are:
• Lack of attention and concentration to the point of disablement
• Hyperactivity and / or impulsivity
• It is accompanied by mood disorders and / or learning disabilities, risk of injury, socialization and self-esteem issues, addictions, car accidents, financial & professional problems, delinquency.
Possible causes are:
• Food allergies or hidden intolerances
• Poor quality of diet e.g. ready-bought meals, preservatives, colorings
• High consumption of sugar, white flour, soft drinks, fried food
• Pregnant woman’s toxicity transferred to the fetus and child’s exposure to heavy metals e.g. lead in water pipes, mercury from dental amalgams, environmental toxins, household chemicals and plastics
• Smoking, alcohol in pregnancy
• Nutrient Deficiencies e.g. Omega-3, Omega-6, B vitamins, magnesium, zinc, iron, among others
• Intestinal dysbiosis - leaky gut
and most times Immune system dysfunction
How the Nutritional Therapy Athens Clinic can help
Our goal is to discover the causes of ADHD. We record the full health history of the child and of the parents and we recommend special functional tests that will show any dysfunctions in the immune or the gastrointestinal systems, in the neurotransmitters like dopamine; we investigate the existence of heavy metals and other toxic substances, possible nutrient deficiencies, any hidden food intolerances, among others.
Personalized Nutritional Strategy
After the diagnostic assessments we lay out an individualized nutritional strategy, including special nutritional supplements and suggestions for a proper way of life of the family, while avoiding bad habits. Let us not forget that children benefit greatly from physical activity outdoors. We incorporate more natural foods in the nutritional plan, as well as selected amino acids, minerals such as magnesium and zinc, vitamins such as vitamin B complex, natural enzymes and herbs, among others.