Cardiovascular problems are very common and they are increasing at an alarming rate in modern societies. High cholesterol and triglycerides are recognized as the main causes.
What is cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a fatty substance necessary for healthy cell membranes that surround the organs, glands and brain. It is also a key component for the production of hormones, vitamins and other essential elements and it functions as the insulating material for the nerve axes that are responsible for the transfer of stimuli in the nervous system.
LDL & HDL
There are two types of lipoproteins, LDL and HDL. The HDL carries cholesterol from the liver where it is produced to be broken down and discarded with feces, this way protecting the heart and blood vessels from accumulation of cholesterol. It is therefore described as “good” cholesterol. The LDL carries cholesterol from the liver to the cells which need it for the significant work described above. But if for some reason it accumulates it can cause clogging of the arteries, because it sticks to them. So it is considered “bad” cholesterol. But LDL accumulation in our body is not accidental; our body is not mad. It receives a signal that there is an inflammation, an oxidation in its arteries and it hastens to produce healing factors such as cholesterol and triglycerides. We need both types of cholesterol because they are just as important, but they should be in balance.
How the Nutritional Therapy Athens Clinic can help.
This summarizes the approach followed for the management of cholesterol:
• We reinforce the gastrointestinal function so that cholesterol is discarded at a normal rate.
• We reinforce the function of the liver which is the main organ for cholesterol management.
• We investigate the existence of an inflammatory condition or oxidative stress in the arteries and generally implement the Integrated
Nutrition Strategy and special nutritional supplements
• We suggest foods that increase HDL, and reduce the ones that may increase LDL too much. These include white flour, sweets, alcohol as odd as it may sound.
• We integrate exercise and relaxation techniques that suit each individual, adopting a harmonious lifestyle.